Old 29-10-2009, 09:23 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
Hello.

I am making plans to completely gut out the garden of a property i have just bought.

I really enjoy large leaves that display a vibrant variety of reds and orange colours over autumn.

I also prefer native species.

Can someone suggest a tree that is a reliable source of vibrant colour over autumn?

Can someone suggest a bush that will grow sidewards and not upwards with large vibrant leaves over autumn?

Are there any species that don't drop their leaves but still display autumn colours?

Thanks
Hi, Mrs.Brown, one of my most favourite trees is Acer 'Crimson King' which has large purplish-red leaves all summer. As for autumn colour, you will find
Liquidambar styraciflua very hard to beat and it is not a large growing tree, its known locally down here as 'the Cornish Acer' as it will stand more wind than the Japanese Maples yet still hold its leaves long enough for a good display.
Best wishes Lannerman.