Old 29-10-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Is is possible to waterproof the base of a tree?

echinosum wrote:
MrsBrown;868198 Wrote:
Would it be possible to seal the base of the trunk with some kind of
liquid sealant or plastic wrap so that i could bury the trunk without
killing the tree off?

Why do you think burying it deeper would kill it? If it was necessary

Some trees do object to the ground level being raised by more than a
couple of inches. If the roots rely on oxygen from the air to breathe.
Attempting to waterproof it would make things worse.

to waterproof it, I don't think it would work. There are some plants
that don't like to be buried any deeper, but I think those are the
exception rather than the rule. For example, if it was grafted, as for
many fruit trees, it would be important to keep the graft above ground.
But tell us what it is, and maybe someone can say definitively yea or
nay.

You could probably build it up a couple of inches per year and the tree
would not object. That is about what it might expect to get from leaf
litter build up in a forest.

Regards,
Martin Brown