Old 29-10-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default lavender (pruning)

On 2009-10-29 22:48:59 +0000, David Rance

On 2009-10-29 13:35:10 +0000, David Rance
said:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 Sacha wrote:

Mmm .. you'd think French lavender would be able to cope with French
weather, wouldn't you?! OTOH, France is somewhat bigger than GB and we
have a varied enough temperature range. Perhaps we're just asking too much
of it.
On the way back from holiday this summer I took the train from Nice to
Paris, and it was really odd watching the landscape slowly morph from
Med-looking up to English-looking the nearer Paris we got. You could
actually see the shape and colour of the flora getting more ... homely
as you watched.
It's strange you say that because last time we were in France, I said
to my husband that I feel more 'at home' in Brittany and Normady I do
in e.g. Provence. I love the sunshine and general ambience of Provence
but it does feel more 'foreign'. Partly - for me - that's because I've
sailed to the Breton and Normandy coasts quite often but also because
long-ago genes are probably still swishing around but Ray felt exactly
the same and I think it must be because the landscape etc. becomes
more familiar.
Exactly that. I'm a native of the Chilterns and now have a house in
the Suisse Normande. The countryside of both is very similar with beech
woods, etc.
David

Brittany is very like Jersey as to coastline and Normandy is another
version of Devon.

Hmm, well I always associate Devon with red sandstone but I suppose
that west Devon and Cornwall have similar stone to the Suisse Normande.

David

Lots of Devon does have red soil but not round us. Moving further over
towards Torquay, some of the fields are bright red, especially after
rain.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com