Old 30-10-2009, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can you heavily cut back a holly bush?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"MrsBrown" wrote ...
I have just bought my first house and on the boundary with a neighbour,
they have a large bulbous mature holly bush that is growing onto my
driveway by about 2-3 foot.

The main trunk of the holly brush is pretty much on the boundary so if
i cut it right back off my driveway i get the feeling it would become
bare in the middle and possibly stay that way.

It is also a privacy bush.

Can someone advise me if there is a way to cut a holly bush right back
off my property, but for it to restablish dense leaf cover around the
trunk and sidewards along the boundary?

Thanks

Yes you can, they have dormant buds so it will grow again and green up if
you cut it back hard. I cut one to the ground and it's now 12ft high
again.
Just cut it back to your boundary and it will green up again

But ask/tell your neighbours first, if it's their bush, it's polite.
I am annoyed with my neighbours atm, they have severely pruned my damsons
and plum trees which has now made them lop sided. It's not like it mattered
much as they were a hundred yards down the garden and they never normally go
that far down there.

However, I do get a lot of footballs over here from their horrible child, I
usually throw them back but...
It's like this - you destroy my trees, the balls are toast.

Tina