Old 24-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Aditya

Default [IBC] insects buzzing new bonsai

Hi

I looked up fungus gnats on the internet and that is what they are.

I underreported the number of insects. There are definitely quite a
few in the pot and they occassionally buzz around when I water the
plant.

It is good to know that they are not harmful. The only thing left is
the 'bother' effect on humans. Is there still a way to control and
eliminate them.

I will water according to the stick method you mention below.

Once the weather is better in Seattle, I will definitely take the
plants outdoors.

Thanks for your responses.

Aditya Dube

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:001901c2d84e$50877ae0$6a112cc7@pavilion...
Hello

I recently bought a new Japanese Elm bonsai. When I look

closely I see
an insect flying around it and a couple of the same variety

crawling
around in the soil. There are probably more in the soil. My

other
bonsais do not have this so I suspect that the new plant came

with the
insects. I have isolated the new plant from the others.

I have started spraying neem oil once a week. Will this be

sufficient?
Or should I do something else as well?

We really need to know where you are writing from, and what the
insect looks like -- size, color, etc. We also need to know
where you have this tree -- inside or out.

98% of all insects will not harm your trees. Of the harmless
insects, a few may indicate there already is something wrong with
your tree (but the insect is NOT causing it). Of the 2% of
insects that may be harmful, very few would be found "flying
around" your trees. AND seeing "an insect" flying around and "a
couple" in the soil isn't what I'd call an infestation -- even of
the most damaging insect -- in any event. Neem probably is
overkill.

Ben guessed fungus gnats. Except that for most of us all known
fungus gnats are frozen stiff at this time of year, I'd agree.
Now if the tree is indoors, I'll still say fungus gnats. They
themselves are harmless. They do indicate, however, that your
soil is MUCH too wet and your tree is in danger of developing
root rot. No point in spraying. Just water less.

ONLY water when the soil feels dry! Not damp. Not even moist.
DRY. (But water as SOON as it is dry!) You can keep a wooden
stick jammed into the soil. Remove it daily and feel the dirty
end. If it is damp, don't water.

Finally, if you do have the tree inside, when the weather permits
it will be much happier outdoors. (It also will have many fewer
insect problems!)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++