Old 30-10-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Identification - large acorn

"K" wrote in message
Just back from a small Greek island a few miles from Turkey, where we saw
a large oak tree, with leathery evergreen leaves about 9cm long and 3 cm
wide, with toothed edges.

But the most striking thing was the acorns - almost 5cm long, peering out
of a thick shaggy cup 5.5cm diameter.

Best identification so far is Quercus calliprenos. But I think the scales
on the cup of that one are turned out at the tip, whereas the ones on
mine are laid flat.
--
Kay

Hi Kay,

Could it be from Quercus macrocarpa, the Burr (or Bur) Oak?

Spider