Old 30-10-2009, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Identification - large acorn

On 2009-10-30 11:33:48 +0000, K said:

Just back from a small Greek island a few miles from Turkey, where we
saw a large oak tree, with leathery evergreen leaves about 9cm long and
3 cm wide, with toothed edges.

But the most striking thing was the acorns - almost 5cm long, peering
out of a thick shaggy cup 5.5cm diameter.

Best identification so far is Quercus calliprenos. But I think the
scales on the cup of that one are turned out at the tip, whereas the
ones on mine are laid flat.

Some years ago one of the compilers, John Fielding, gave us "Flowers
of Crete", (ISBN I84246 079 X ) This mentions several oaks, which I'll
list but I'm wondering if this one fits your bill. It's Quercus
ithaburensis subsp. macrolepis and "Its large acorn cups are very
distinctive with long spreading scales". Looking at the photo it's
described as having 'huge acorns and receptacle' and I'd certainly
describe the recptacle as 'shaggy' while the leaves are certainly
toothed. They don't think it's native as it was widely cultivated in
Europe for tanning. The oaks listed in the index a Quercus
brachyphylla, cerris, coccifera, frainetto, ilex, ithaburensis,
ithaburensis subsp. macrolepis, pubescens. I hope an image search on
these helps to ID the one you saw.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com