Old 30-10-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Raspberies

Pam Moore wrote:
I treat all mine as Autumn ones, and still have quite a few fruits on
my plants now, though they are late having been moved last year.
If I were you I would cut these canes down again in winter and look
for another good crop next Autumn.

How far down do you cut them in winter? I've inheritted a large patch
of well established raspberries, and they cropped a lot worse this year
than last - lots of fruit but all very small. I think it's mostly to do
with lack of water during the growing season, as they did seem to get
better fruit after a rainfall, but I also didn't prune very hard last
year, mostly just stragglers, as I wasn't sure if they were strictly
autumn or summer croppers. Given they've only just stopped cropping
now, I'm going to go with autumn ...