Old 30-10-2009, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Can you heavily cut back a holly bush?

On Oct 29, 12:14*pm, MrsBrown
wrote:
Hello.

I have just bought my first house and on the boundary with a neighbour,
they have a large bulbous mature holly bush that is growing onto my
driveway by about 2-3 foot.

The main trunk of the holly brush is pretty much on the boundary so if
i cut it right back off my driveway i get the feeling it would become
bare in the middle and possibly stay that way.

But the foliage would remain on their side and so will continue to do
the privacy job.

It is also a privacy bush.

Can someone advise me if there is a way to cut a holly bush right back
off my property, but for it to restablish dense leaf cover around the
trunk and sidewards along the boundary?

It might depend on the soil type; Ordinarily, I would have seen no
problem to it, but I notice that around here (west Flanders Belgium)
it's generally sandy (like a beach) and cutting back hollies, as in
blindly hacking back, can often be disastrous, leaving only a great
many dead stumps of twigs.

So if you do cut back, I suggest you do so the first time round by
cutting back to the last live growth :living shoot; (has actual leaf)
If that point is another branch, then cut that back to last shoot/
leaf.
Don't chop-back to what might look like a promising bud.

This might mean that either you don't need to go to the last living
shoot to regain your driveway, or that you have to go further so as
not to leave potentially dead shoots.

Thanks

--
MrsBrown