Old 30-10-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Identification - large acorn

Stephen Wolstenholme writes
I went to Kalymnos when I was younger and did a lot of walking around
the forest and getting lost.

Are you sure that was Kalymnos? Kalymnos has very few large trees and
certainly nothing which could be described as a forest.

I remember the unusual oak trees which I think are the sawtooth oak.
The leaves match your description. I remember thinking they were so
different to the oak trees in England.

This was one solitary tree. I haven't seen any others on the island. It
was in the Vathy valley, which has a number of mature plane trees. But
this tree was a long way from those. Otherwise all the trees in the
valley were the various fruit trees, with a few pistacia.

The small island next to Kalymnos also had lots of unusual trees but I
can't remember the name of the island.

Telendos? It has a remnant pine forest, then the usual scrub of pistacia
and juniper.

--
Kay