Old 31-10-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Identification - large acorn

Stephen Wolstenholme writes
I phoned an old friend who was there with me. She thinks the trees were
on Patmos. It was about 45 years ago I may be a bit mixed up with the
other islands. I'm not so sure that it was Patmos and now I'm not sure
about Kalymnos either. There was a valley with a spring which supplied
a citrus plantation. I'm being a bit generous with the term "forest"
but there were lots of trees.

Well, that could be Vathy on Kalymnos, if by trees you meant the
citruses (over an area of about 5 miles by 1 mile). There is the only
all-year stream on the island running through the village at the
harbour, under the main square with a well-like opening where you can
see huge fish and eels. But there are very few *big* trees - the odd
fig and mulberry about the same size as the citruses - the only big
trees were a few planes at Platanos, and this oak at the bottom of the
'Italian road' coming over the mountains from the main town.
--
Kay