Old 31-10-2009, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Watering plants while on holiday

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:22:57 +0000, Greenerdigits
wrote:

Hi Guys

This is my first time on this forum.

I go away on business about once a month and i am looking for a way of
keeping my house plants hydrated while i am away.

I have found a product online and wondered if anyone had used it before
and if it worked. It's called Holiday Mat and Rainmat supplied by
http://www.plant-watering.com/
They claim it holds 8 pints of water. You lay it on a draining board,
add water to it and place your plants on top.

If you have any thoughts on this or better products, i would be very
grateful

Cheers
Mark

I put plants inside dry-cleaner bags for many unattended weeks. Some
plants can be left for a month this way without any watering. If you
travel a lot, get plants that thrive well on neglect. With
temperatures down I have not watered any of my plants in 2 weeks
except for the Aftican violets. A month or 2 ago, many were being
watered 2-3 times a week. Maybe you can get a friend to water once a
week?