Old 31-10-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Identification - large acorn

Sasha wrote:

Some years ago one of the compilers, John Fielding, gave us "Flowers
of Crete", (ISBN I84246 079 X ) This mentions several oaks, which I'll
list but I'm wondering if this one fits your bill. It's Quercus
ithaburensis subsp. macrolepis and "Its large acorn cups are very
distinctive with long spreading scales". Looking at the photo it's
described as having 'huge acorns and receptacle' and I'd certainly
describe the receptacle as 'shaggy' while the leaves are certainly
toothed.

That's the same species as mentioned in my other post (which crossed
with yours) - my scales are flat to the cup, not curved outwards, which
is I assume what is meant by spreading. And googling shows a cup with
scales sticking outwards. Though it is very close.

Unless someone has a better idea, I think Q calliprinos remains the best
bet:
http://www.flowersinisrael.com/Querc...rinos_page.htm
--
Kay