Old 31-10-2009, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Garlic "Marco"

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gopher" wrote ...
Is it my imagination or did someone recently mention that their experience
of growing Marco was very unsatisfactory? The only reason I ask is that I
realise that I have planted Marco - and it's sprouting v. well at present;
this is the first time I have tried this type (Goodness knows why I bought
it - seduced by use of superlatives on the packet I suspect - as I
normally grow either Blanak or Solent Wight). Anyway - any feedback on
Marco would be helpful. At least I will be prepared :-))

It was I.

Yes Marco, compared to our Thermidrome and Germindour, was a complete
disaster for us last year, we got no proper heads at all and the plants grew
a bit and then stopped. But then we have had the same problem with Solent
White in the past too. (sorry!)
The strange thing is I obviously didn't get all the tiny bulbs of Marco out
of the ground before I rotovated it and we now have rather a number of Marco
plants growing as weeds, much better than they grew last year.

Thanks Bob .... will try to remember to let you know how things go.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!