Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Where did the green cabbage go?

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:35:12 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

I don't know about cabbage but a couple of years ago I moved from East
Bershire to South Somerset. That meant going from being 10 minutes walk
from Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose to the nearest supermarket being
Morrisons a 5 mile drive (well, maybe one bus a day but timed for school so
makes for a long stay for a quick shop) away. Anyway, result is I now shop
in the local village and it's the meat that gets me. Pork, in particular,
actually tastes of pork. So my advice is not to change your supermarket so
much as change from a supermarket to an independent greengrocer, or a
farmers market or something of that ilk.

We do have a local market shop along the main road some way from us
which I have been to a few times, He's the sort of character that puts
all the nice stuff on top of the display and the dodgy stuff in your
bag. Though much of it looks fairly ropey anyway.Maybe I was biased
anyway to the nice clean supermarkets, who do have set standards for
our own safety etc and their brainwashing worked! I'll give him
another go with an open mind.

The person who said about picking up the tractor roadkill made me
laugh lol we had lots of that here at harvest and I decided not to
pick any of the veg up in case it was a crop experiment that was not
fit for human consumption or something. Now where on earth did that
come from! lol

Thanks for all your advice guys on this thread. I might just grow a
couple too, though I do hate fighting with the creatures just waiting
for *another* one to come along every minute.