Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default 'Autumn' cactus

Sacha wrote:
We have a Christmas cactus type that is flowering now, very
prolifically. Ray brought it into the house yesterday and it's on an
east facing window sill, which isn't curtained. What we're wondering is
which variety it is and perhaps Kay - or others - will recognise the
description. The colour is a pinky coral with some light pink
coloration towards the base of each flower. But what is interesting is
that the flowers are double - a sort of hose-in-hose arrangement, for
want of a better description. Anyone know this?

A reasonable list of the named cultivars is online at:

http://www.umass.edu/umext/floricult...ops/cacti.html

But they are fairly promiscuous and a lot of the ones sold these days
are hybrids of Schlumbergia (Zygocactus) truncatus. You can get a wide
range of colours although yellow and white are rarer and will not come
true if the house is too cold - the pink will still be expressed.

"Holiday" cacti really grates. But it is otherwise a good site.

Regards,
Martin Brown