Old 17-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Al

Default Ascolabium pumilum verses Ascocentrum pumilum

My Ascocentrum pumilum came from Andy's Orchids several years ago. I will
try to post leaf comparisons of two. They may be the same species and the
pieces labeled Ascolabium pumilum that I just received (from Thailand via
David Hunt)) may have just been broken off of a more robust and more
succulent-leafed cultivar.

I'll post them on the web and add a link for those people deprived of abpo.

FWIW: I did not import these directly but bought them from David Hunt in
Texas who did the importing and dealt with import permits and CITIES
do-do-documentation. For the most part these newly imported plants that
came into the country through Texas, were repackaged there and then and
hitched a ride on a United States postal truck for the last leg of their
journey to me in Virginia arrived looking just like I expected them to look.
A few more rules to live by: "Newly imported plants are not pretty" and "It
ain't dead until its dust." I expect almost everything to survive but I
doubt any will bloom anytime soon.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
You know who'd know would be Andy Phillips at Andy's Orchids. Harry
responds to questions. Failing that Jim Hamilton at Petite Plaisance
would also know. (He's on the web too)

K Barrett

Al wrote:

Do these names refer the same plants? I have been growing a plant of
Ascocentrum pumilum for several years. It is very small and the leaves

are
needle-like and resemble pine needles. I just received some pieces and

these have leaves that look more like Ascocentrum
miniatum leaves. I had concluded before buying the Ascolabium that

these
two names were synonyms but now I am confused again.