Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Burning wood in the house

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article
,
Judith in France writes
We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks.

It's a swine to start burning though, it just never seems to catch.We have
a multi fuel fire/stove and bung anything in there. Old Christmas tree
leaves make a spectacular display then peter out.

I've had a woodburner for 25 years, long before it was fashionable.
Favourite wood is ash - it burns well and even if not long seasoned it
won't tar your chimney up.
Oak is good when the fire is burning well with other wood, but as you say,
you can't start a fire with oak.
I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with my woodburner - I am out at work 5/7 and
have to start a fresh fire every evening. If you can keep it going all the
time you can use oak as it's slow burning.
If my fire is a bit sulky (it has its moments) I just go outside and cut a
small branch of my Lawsons Cypressus which has so much resin in it it makes
the fire go like a bomb.

Tina