Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Where did the green cabbage go?

On 2 Nov 2009 00:20:21 GMT, wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
Lloyd, look for a proper greengrocer as others have suggested. They
do still exist and we need to support them.

We had one for about 6 months, after I spent years grumbling to my mum
that the only fruit+veg options nearby were Somerfield or Co-op. Then
it closed cos people dropped off using it.
(My 3 year old still complains and wants to "go and see the fruit man"
on the way home every Mon + Weds!)

Your 're right it's not just as simple as getting the greengrocer back
in the local shops, because people just don't use them now. We had one
locally who opened up in an old bookies shop, same story six months
and he was gone. Mind you it was only a halfhearted shop in that it
did not have much of a range.

The supermarkets have done a very good job brainwashing the masses.
You don't get that in France. Mind you I don't ever recall a French
greengrocers! Butcher, baker, candlestick maker, but not a
greengrocer, though they always have markets and they are full of
fruit and veg stalls. Do the French have greengrocers?

Been a while.