Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Where did the green cabbage go?

lloyd wrote:
Your 're right it's not just as simple as getting the greengrocer back
in the local shops, because people just don't use them now. We had one
locally who opened up in an old bookies shop, same story six months
and he was gone. Mind you it was only a halfhearted shop in that it
did not have much of a range.

I think that was also the problem here. He got some good stuff in, but
the lad running it didn't really know his products. He'd never seen a
gooseberry before! And also their storage wasn't great, so things
didn't have as long a shelf life as you might expect. And then he
wasn't exactly priced massively competitively, either. He charged 'per
item' on fruit, and most of it was the same price as we pay in the
canteen at work. (40p/apple/pear/plum, etc seemed about average)