Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Egret orchids

Bob Hobden wrote:
Habenaria radiata. They are terrestrial orchids that grow in the fields in
Japan and therefore need a free draining humus rich, soil type, compost not
bark chippings which are used for tropical epiphytes/lithophytes mainly and
hold little nutrients or water. They should also get plenty of water when in
growth, Japan is quite wet, but they don't like sitting in it. They should
be hardy in most of the UK so a cold greenhouse is all they need/want.
Probably do better in a patio pot outside.

Ah, thank you. I'm sure the instructions said to use orchid compost!
Bah. That'll teach me to read them and not ask here instead. ;-)