Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Where did the green cabbage go?

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:56:51 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

lloyd wrote:
Do the French have greengrocers?

Yes, but the primary French outlets are the supermarkets and market
stalls. Supermarket veg tends to be relatively poor quality compared to
market stalls, being old and limp.

You or the veg?

Supermarkets seem to only have one
weekly delivery. Fruit and veg on market stalls tends to be fresh picked.

Prices can vary enormously everywhere. Take red peppers. Depending on
which supermarket you shop in or even on market stalls in the same
market they can vary at the moment between 2 Euro's a kilo and 4 Euro's
a kilo. Double the price!

That's a strange one then, how we developed the greengrocer and the
french never. I wonder why! Maybe it's because the French do actually
grow much of their own, or they used to?

Best of all is grow your own of course.

That's a job in itself, can't do both. I'd last about a week on my own
produce.