Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Ping Sheila - Agapanthus seedlings

Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring them
under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you didn't
know.

I've got 31 plantlets :~), some more advanced than others, and they're all
outdoors at the moment as it's still fairly mild here in SE London. I've
got a *tiny* amount of space in my mini greenhouse and perhaps a bit of
space in my garden room (single brick construction), but that's half
promised to several bulbine plants! I've got quite a lot of cramming in to
do before the frosts come, so it would helpful to know what your plans are.

The plants still look very green and healthy. A few had one or two limp
yellow leaves and I've removed these, so there's nothing left to linger and
rot. One or two plants have even put up a secondary mini-bulb, or at least
the strap-like leaves which suggest an offset. It seems much too early in
their development for this, but unless a dormant seed stuck to the main root
mass, I can't explain it any other way. How are yours performing? Indeed,
how are all the co-growers getting on?

Incidentally, I've got an Agapanthus africanus in my front garden which has
put up a new stem and blue flower bud. It may open tomorrow if we get the
promised good weather. This species is not considered to be at all hardy so
I certainly didn't expect flowers in November! I'll be watching the weather
forecasts in case I need to bring it inside.

Spider