Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Ping Sheila - Agapanthus seedlings

On 2009-11-03 17:11:29 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring
them
under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you
didn't
know.

snip

Incidentally, I've got an Agapanthus africanus in my front garden which
has
put up a new stem and blue flower bud. It may open tomorrow if we get
the
promised good weather. This species is not considered to be at all
hardy
so
I certainly didn't expect flowers in November! I'll be watching the
weather
forecasts in case I need to bring it inside.

Spider

Our evergreen Ags looked appallingly limp, sad and mushy after last
winter
but all have survived and a couple actually flowered. I hope you'll
photograph yours and mark the date on the photo when it blooms. That
would be a terrific record of a mild autumn - assuming it's still mild
with you. It's much colder here now.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Yes, I remember how worried you were that yours wouldn't come back. I'm
glad they survived and reminded you how beautiful they are.

It's a good idea to take a photograph. I'll do that when the flowers
open.
One day I'll even get around to posting some pics. I'm still doing the
learning curve.

Going back to the recording of this major event in the horticultural
diary
:~), do you know if there is a good gardening- and nature-related
phenology
site?

Spider

I never remember such things from one year to the next and keep chastising
myself for not keeping a proper garden diary but does this help?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/evidence/phenology.shtml
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Yes thanks, Sacha, that looks great! I'll have a proper browse later but,
just now, I'm off to rescue a few tender plants before the frosts come.
Still clear and mild-ish here today, but the nights could soon be very
different. Brrr ...

Spider

It's very chilly here at night but not quite ready for frosts, I hope.
Having said that, I hope I don't regret it! Ray's pet Lonicera
hildebrandiana is still outside atm and looking great. It's still
putting out long tendrils and the tree ferns are looking very green.