Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Ping Sheila - Agapanthus seedlings

"Sheila" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring
them under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you
didn't know.

The is hardy in the ground, I didnt mulch it specially. I am going to put
the large pots in the shed this year, as the pot shattered last year, I am
going to put the small pots in my unheated porch, and give them just a
drop of water now and again.

Thanks for that, Sheila. I've put mine nearer the house for now, but will
have to make more indoor space for them. I've still got 3 big plants
outside which are probably tender, so they need squeezing inside somewhere,
too.

I dont have as many babies as you, as I foolishly gave a lot to
friends.... I am going to have to try to get the seed pods from this years
plant for some more!

Like many things, generosity is wonderful in moderation :~). I hope you've
kept enough to allow for a few losses. Having the parent plant helps, I
know, but you will have lost a year's progress. I have promised a friend
some of mine (she is an agapanthus fanatic), but she has even less space to
over-winter them than I, plus a still-being-trained rampaging lurcher.

I will try to remember to take a picture of them tomorrow, last years
plant, in the pot, also the plants in the ground, and the babies

:~) That will be interesting to see. My camera has a new battery now (it
died on me last week) so, if it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go out and snap a few
things.

Spider