Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default After a common name

"Jess N" wrote in message

Hello! First post!

After ages of looking through lists and lists I've figured out which
plant it was I was trying to Identify but I'm really bad at remembering
latins so I was wondering if any of you know the common name for
Sisyrinchium striatum?
Or any other name they have for it just to help me remember it!

In future hopefully I'll be able to afford a digital camera and you lot
can help me identify things a lot easier!

Gratefully

--
Jess N

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the group.

As the others have said, the use of latin names are really essential. It's
all very well calling your plant "Aunt Flo's yellow flower" when you're
talking to yourself or Aunt Flo but, since many 'common'or 'English' names
are little more helpful than that, you really need a naming system that all
gardeners understand.

Do persist with learning the latin tags, but make the job a little simpler
for yourself as you begin. For instance, don't struggle with Sisyrinchium
striatum in full; just refer to your plant as 'Sisyrinchium' (the genus
name) for now. Most gardeners will understand and, if they want to know
more, will ask for the detail and, perhaps a description. You will be
surprised how quickly you will gain the confidence to add the 'striatum'
(the species, or specific name) and, eventually the cultivar name. Cultivar
simply means 'cultivated variety'.

Also have a look in your local library or bookshop for a dictionary of
horticultural latin. It will teach you a lot about the structure of hort.
latin and may even help with pronunciation. However, even the (language)
experts argue about how to pronouce it, so just be brave and have a go! :~)

Incidentally, the only common name I know for Sisyrinchium is 'Blue-eyed
Grass', which has been mentioned and, as has been said, Sisyrinchium is not
a grass - nor are all the flowers blue; some are cream, yellow or purple.

Enjoy the learning curve *and* your gardening.

Spider