Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Stinky ginkgoes offend delicate noses

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 17:54:38 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 04:52:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

What rhymes with ginkgo? For people in many American cities, the word
is STINKO.

I might cut down a stinky tree if there were not enough distance from
the house. Why grow a stinky tree when there are so many that are
not?

Because they are a beautiful and distinktive specimen tree.

With ginkgos there is no way to know if it's male or female until many
years pass... could be tending it and watching it grow some 30 years
before you know... by that time it's too valuable a tree to destroy,
would make much more sense to move it. But they only produce seeds
for a couple of weeks once a year... if it's away from your abode who
cares if it smells bad for a short time. I have two that I planted as
saplings almost eight years ago, they still have a long way to go
before they mature enough to fruit. I would never think to cut them
down.

Many reasons to grow ginkgo -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/