Old 17-04-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

Default Advice on hedging/screening

I put in Bamboo to replace the few Conifers we stupidly put in and promptly
removed they have grown pretty fast
However Pyracantaha and Escallonia grown very quickly too and provide both
winter and summer interst

"Andy Phillips" wrote in message
Hi,

As the result of a forced corporate move (*******s!), we're about to move
from a cottage in the West Country to a semi in the home counties. One
problem (from our point of view) about the new house is that we can see a
neighbour's property about 15 beyond the garden fence at the bottom of the
30m-long garden - our current garden is 70m long and has a field at the

end,
so to see other houses so close is freaking us out.

We'd therefore like to grow some screening plants on the line of the

garden
fence that will at least break up, if not completely hide, the neighbour's
house. We don't want to go down the Leylandii route, but we would like
something that will do a reasonable job of screening in summer and winter

as
the kitchen window looks out in that direction.

Can you suggest any suitable plants? We wondered about a bamboo or two,
perhaps separated by a columnar conifer such as a cypress. We're prepared

buy relatively mature trees (a budget of £500-£800, say). The length of

the
bottom fence is about 10m.

Thanks,

Andy