Old 17-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Cereoid-XXXX

Default Asparagus Fern

Asparagus are not ferns at all. They are xerophytic flowering plants. The
species grown for their ornamental foliage are not closely related to the
Asparagus officinalis grown as a vegetable and are even placed in a separate
genus named Protasparagus by many botanists. The new shoots are much too
slender to be any good as a vegetable.

Obermeyer, A.A. (1983) PROTASPARAGUS OBERM., NOM. NOV.: NEW COMBINATIONS.
S.Afr. Journ. Bot. 2 (3): 243-244.

Obermeyer, A.A. (1985) THE GENUS PROTASPARAGUS IN SOUTHERN AFRICA. Bothalia
15 (3-4): 548-549.

Mathew, B. (1989) NOTES ON TROPICAL AFRICAN ASPARAGACEAE. Kew Bulletin 44
(1): 181-182.

Angela Coffey wrote in message
I discovered some asparagus in one of my side gardens that has been

growing
way too long to harvest it. I read somewhere that if you let it go, it'll
turn into a feathery fern looking plant, and that's exactly what these are
doing. Do asparagus ferns start out as an asparagus stalk?? If I let it
keep growing, will I have an asparagus fern eventually? Just curious

Angie