Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaf collection for leaf mould

Muddymike wrote:

I throw all our dogs faeces onto the compost heap which is mostly
leaves. I always thought of it as a good activator.

I was under the impression never to use dog faeces in the compost. The
logic I was given was that only the faeces of vegetarian animals such as
horses and cattle should be used due to the risk of parasites such as
tape-worm etc being present in the poo of meat-eaters. In principle eggs
from such nasties could end up in the vegetable garden and could in
theory at least end up on none-cooked veg such as lettuce, which unless
scrupulously washed could then infect humans. Lots of "ifs" there, I
don't know how real the risk is though or if it is just over-cautious
old wives tales?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.