Old 06-11-2009, 11:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Casuarina roots

0tterbot wrote:

snip

mind you, if you follow our advice here & it all goes bung, you don't get to
whinge later, orright? g
kylie

ROTFLMAO!!! I reserve the right to my whinge anyway. A body always feels
better after a bijou whingette!

Just an update on me embryonic garden:

I've discovered ebay! Did you know you can buy seeds and cuttings and
even plants on ebay? I've got an entire collection of violets (I do love
violets!) from there at an average cost of about five dollars each. It
always works out cheaper if you buy multiple items from one seller, as
combining postage is well worth it. Probably the most unusual thing I've
bought is a perfectly gorgeous purple-leaved hoya, about 60cm tall and
packed ingeniously in cardboard and bubble-wrap.

The violets came variously in polystyrene cups and gladwrap over wet
paper towel, but all are thriving and just today I was able to divide
some of them for the first time. I have nine varieties now!

Orchids also lend themselves to ebay shopping, since they only need some
damp medium to kick on for a few days. Most sellers post on Mondays to
enable the quickest possible delivery and prevent things having to
weekend in a stuffy post office. All in all, my experiences have been
great so far.

Of the funny items I've seen for sale in the gardening section, the best
has been the plethora of mature Cocos and Alexandra palms for sale. The
vast majority of these have been from private sellers who were silly
enough to plant their indoor palm outdoors and then got a surprise when
it grew up. LOL!

Prices vary from 'Free to anyone who will come and remove' to
(Hnyahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Pardon my guffaw!) $1,000 starting bid
for a ten-year-old specimen. IMHO, you would need to pay the buyer to
remove the blessed things, rather than try to fob one off on some poor
unsuspecting bloke for money.

Anyway, if you haven't checked out ebay for plants, do! It's fun just
browsing what's available, even if you don't want to buy.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia