Old 17-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Mike Prager

Default Common Lantana help? Novice gardener!

What everyone has said in this discussion is that lantanas are an extremely
easy plants to grow and will survive under all types of warm conditions. I
have a collection of variously colored lantanas (zone 6) that I enjoy and
keep from year to year. If you treat them well and give them water,
fertilizer, and good soil, they'll become huge and bloom their heads off. If
you throw them on cement, they'll survive and still bloom as long as they
have some moisture. They're a great plant! The one negative is that white
flies love them.

Recently in the Southeast US, we have had problems with
lantana lacebugs. They disfigure the plants so badly in
summer that I've given up on the few I had planted a couple of
years ago. Perhaps lantana is not ideally suited to our humid
climate and low-pH soils, anyway. I have pleasant memories of
seeing them prosper with very little care in southern
California.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove symbols from email address to reply.)