Old 07-11-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rupert rupert is offline

Default Snake's Head Fritillaries

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Jess N wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I ordered a large amount of Snake's Head Fritillary bulbs back in April
because there was a deal on. No specific delivery date or month was
given just that they would arrive in good time for planting.
I thought that that 'good time' was about Oct-Now. Obviously they
haven't arrived or I wouldn't be writing about it!

When is the best time/way to plant these bulbs?

Company ordered from was Thompson & Morgan. Not used them before but
definitely heard of them, assumed they were reputable.

Grateful for any advice/tips.

Jess

Nothing to do with planting time, but be aware that Lily Beetle loves
Fritillaria meleagris! If you live in an area which has (or will soon
have) lily beetle, then as soon as they have finished with your lilies
they will start eating these.

--
Jeff

Well I've had those scarlet blighters in Yorkshire for about 5 years and I
think they have spread to most parts of the UK now? I grow Fritillaria
imperialis because they appear just about the same time as the
Cardiocrinums. The beetles seem to prefer the Fritillaria, so with a daily
inspection I usually manage to catch and kill them over about a two week
period and then don't normally see them again till next year.
I just wish vine weevils were as easy to spot and kill:-(