Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Another weekend

I balk at the price tag every time I look at the "efficient" OASE pumps.

Course... this is the best time of year to buy things, either prices are
reduced or no shipping charges. ;-)

I'll marvel at how clear the water is and ponder buying a UV filter so that
it would be this clear in early spring but balk at the price for one. (see
above)

Ditto... but UV is so over rated, imho. ;-) Unless you have a koi only pond
with no plants helping to clear the water, other than algae.

I'll consider buying Matala pads to replace the 200 pounds of lava rock I
have in my filter falls. I'll come away amazed at how much they cost. (see
above)

Ditto. This year I replaced my 8 sheets of open cell bio-foam that
originally cost me $125/filter 12 years ago. I purchased 2 gray and 2 blue
of the matala and kept 2 of the open cell foam sheets in the middle. Cost
$163, but no shipping charge thru Joe's Koi and that saved a bundle
considering they can't be folded up and came in two separate boxes. They
cut easily to size with a Ginsu knife, and I have some nice pieces now for
bucket filters. I'm also hoping this will help with cleaning as I should be
able to spray the matala off in the filter rather than hefting out open
cell foam, that even when drained of water, is heavy when filled with
debris. After all, I can let the bio-part go a year & a half before
cleaning so lots of mulm on those first couple of sheets. I couldn't even
begin to haul out clean rock, let alone wet mulm filled rock. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us