Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default After a common name

Sacha writes

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N said:

*Thanks evryone!
*I promise I'll remember the latin I just need a other name to say only
to myself in my head so I know what I'm talking about!
*I wish I had had latin lessons when I was in school. Quite alot of the
names are descriptive but the only ones that make any sense to me and
ones like alba and niger etc..
*I'll pick it up one day, got ages!
*Thanks again.

Of course, it's a lot easier for old ladies, many of whom know Latin.

OI!! *One term, old lady yerself!! *;-)

You were not my target ;-)

I'll sleep better for that reassurance. *;-)) *I wonder if there's some
trick of the brain to learning these plant names - something
subconscious, I mean. *I forget peoples' names in seconds and what is
worse, I attribute to them names I think they should have but don't
possess. *We know a wonderful woman I persist in thinking of as Olga
and her real name could not be more different. *This happens to me from
time to time and it's terrible embarrassing as I have to pause to make
sure I'm going to call them by the right name! * But for some reason,
plant names go in and (mostly) stick. *I can't begin to explain it
because my parents weren't great gardeners, did not know Latin names
and I only started to pick them up in my early 30s from my outlaws. *
Perhaps it's because they called everything by their Latin names from
the get-go when talking to me about making a garden.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

Don't!!!! I am really bad with names, I have started waving my hand
around vaguely when I forget and my husband steps in with the name.

Judith