Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Fall with power

"ReelMcKoi" wrote:

-snip-
My pumps are shut off and pond season is over.

That's sad. I'm in NY- near Albany & leave mine go all winter. [and
it is a small one- about 200 gallons- 2 feet deep on the deep end, and
1/2 is 8inches or less]

I loved watching the ice come and go all winter last year.

Even the frogs and snakes are gone for the winter.

We don't see the frogs often anymore, but a couple hardy souls appear
from time to time as I remove Water Hyacinth and lettuce.

The lilies are all done- and I was about to post asking how many years
before the Water Hawthorn would start to blossom.. . . and then I
noticed a little flower. I should check the water temp, but
guarantee it isn't warm.g We've had several killing frosts and
very little sun for a month.

I moved a dozen Rosy reds, a couple water hyacinths, a few water
lettuce, and some anacharis to the basement tank. The apple snails
I planned on moving down there disappeared before I could. I bought
a couple little Plecostomus for the tank and I'll put them on string
algae duty in the spring.

Jim