Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn feeds

On 11/7/2009 6:42 AM, Alistair Macdonald wrote:
After scarifying and spiking my lawns this autumn, what should I feed them
with to ensure a healthy and attractive lawn next year?
Alistair

I go to a local hardware store with a little calculator. I buy whatever
off-brand pelleted fertilizer they have that provides the greatest
amount of nitrogen (first number in the NPK ratios) per dollar. I take
the N-number as a percentage, multiply it by the weight of the bag, and
divide by the price. This gives me pounds of nitrogen per dollar.

I use this not only on my lawn but also on my shrub and flower beds.
While the phosphorus and potassium are important, low nitrogen in the
soils is what limits plant growth in much of southern California.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean