Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Gorgeous sunset

On 2009-11-08 17:18:03 +0000, Sacha said:

The sky is a symphony of rose, gold and pale blue darkening to indigo.
But I can hear the temperature dropping like a stone!

And Ray has just told me there's a chance of a light frost tonight. ;-(

Do you ever see a 'green flash'? In the winter down here, the sun sets
over a sea horizon and is frequently brilliantly coloured, and perhaps
two or three times a year we will get a green flash.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash if you've not heard of it
before. It's extremely short lived; a fraction of a second. Blink and
you miss it!

Oh you are SO going to regret asking me that. ;-) I've seen 3. Once
in the Iles de Chausey, once in Hawaii and once on the one and only
cruise we've done, in the Caribbean. On the latter, I got a small
group lined up on the rail waiting for it. They'd never heard of it
and were very sceptical and I said "just watch, don't blink, don't move
a muscle, keep deathly stil and focus on the horizon as the sun goes
into itl" and there was a loud "YAY" at the end from those who saw it
and a "Wot, wot" from those who blinked. ;-)
I've only seen it on absolutely totally, flat calm evenings at sea.
Even the faintest chop or swell seems to spoil the chances.

A green flash I missed was when traveling by plane. The pilot
announced "did you all see that?" and went on to explain what it was.
The general comments from passengers, including me, was "what is he
talking about" as nobody had seen a thing. I've discovered since that
the green flash can occurs when the sun "sets" behind clouds.

Steve