Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
sueb sueb is offline

Default Home Depot trees

On Nov 3, 4:03*pm, julie wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:15*am, Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Karen wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:56 pm, "Thos" wrote:
I don't know about the SFBA, but the Home Depot's around the Dallas, Tx area
only sell fruit trees in the spring.

I thought that fall was the best time to plant trees? The fruit trees
are hitting Orchard Supply now, too.

Whoops, sorry, hit the "send" key too soon.

I was going to say that we here in the Bay Area have a different
sense of planting seasons than people in many other parts of the
country. :-) I, too, am getting ready to do some planting--just
as my friends in Michigan are putting away their garden tools
for the next few months.

Patty

Thanks, everyone, for all your helpful advice. I took it all to heart
as we searched for trees to plant. Look for new post on what we ended
up with.
Thanks again,
Julie in SFBA- Hide quoted text -

Find a local nursery who can advise you on what varieties grow best in
your particular microclimate.

But...most importantly, if you are planting stone fruit - WAIT. Bare
root season is right around the corner and you can get trees much
cheaper then. Starting in December, the nursery will be filled with
bare root fruit trees. If the local nursery that you find has helpful
employees, they will order the varieties you want as bare root stock.

The Sunset garden book has listings of different cultivars if you
don't already have a favorite. You *do* have a Sunset garden book,
don't you?

Good luck,
Susan B.