Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default My new cloches

wrote in message
On 8 Nov, 19:28, "Spider" wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free
cloches
for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in my
recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

Spider

I use soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off. Flat bottoms can
be used as saucers for small pots. I make pots themselves by cutting
1/3 up and boring holes in the bottoms. I wonder if the binmen puzzle
over why they only get partial bottles! The plastic goes brittle after
a few years in the sun, but there's a continuous supply.

Chris

Mmm ... those bottle pots would also make excellent clear pots for smaller
orchids. At the moment I use those clear plastic drinks cups, but they're
very brittle and crack easily. 'Your' bottle pots would be rather more
flexible. Thanks for that :~).

Spider