Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Re-Potting Cacti - How Big A Pot?

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:39:08 -0800, Coffee's For Closers
wrote:

I have some miscellaneous cacti that need repotting. So I am
looking to find out the appropriate size to upgrade to.

For example, some are small, in 10 centimetre (4 inch) diameter
pots. Some are in pots about twice that size, but are probably
even more root-bound, since they have been in those for longer
time.

The small ones are inside, on a window ledge, and the larger ones
are outside.

There is also an aloe Vera outside that looks desperate for more
space.

I am thinking of using pots twice the current size(?)
Basically, I want to minimise the frequency of this trauma (for
both the plant and for me) but without using overly large
containers. I don't want to do it again next year, but I don't
want to take up too much indoor space.

Any tips on protecting my hands from the spines while I molest
the cacti?

It is better to move up to a slightly larger pot rather than a pot 2X
the size. Large clay or ceramic pots are heavy and may need a
dolly, wagon, or some other means to move them around and lifted off
the floor. I have had cactus in the same pot for 10+ years, but do
feed them sparingly during the growing season.

For succulents, including aloe vera, the larger the pot, the larger
the plant. I prefer to keep some plants in small pots (including
aloe) to keep them from getting too big and top-heavy. I have a 12"
jade plant in a 4" pot--yes it does want a larger pot but the only
thing itis getting now is neglect.

Most cactus are resting and would not want to be disturbed this time
of year. Unless you are in the southern hemisphere it is better to
wait until early spring to repot most cacti.