Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default Lawn feeds

On Nov 10, 12:26*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:42:56 -0000, "Alistair Macdonald"

wrote:
After scarifying and spiking my lawns this autumn, what should I feed them
with to ensure a healthy and attractive lawn next year?
Alistair

A slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, any brand, is good. *Best to get a
soil analysis and pH.

Where you are located will have a bearing on what to fertilize with
and when. For more northerly locations with cool season turf grasses,
you want a fertilizer with a low nitrogen content for fall application
- it the root system you want to encourage growth in now, not the top.
Save the high nitrogen formulation for the spring and the primary
growing season. For more southerly locations with warm season grasses
a more balanced formulation may be appropriate.

And it never hurts to apply a light layer of screened compost over the
lawn at any time. It is particularly beneficial after aerating.