Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Salvia confertiflora

On 2009-11-11 13:53:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
Is anyone growing this 'up country'? I'm curious to know how well it
does in frosty winters. It comes through with us usually but we did
lose some of it last year.

Came through here, and flowered all through, been in flower now 2 years
without a break, looking great as I write.
We do grow it in very free draining compost bang up against a greenhouse
and through an evergreen senna so its well protected.

Ours was out in one of the big borders on the lawn and just didn't have
enough protection, we think. Time to try again next year. Anyway,
you're cheating, you're 'down country'. ;-)) I think that particular
one had been in about 4 or 5 years with no problem but last year's
frosts went too low and hung on for too long, I think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com