Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Fall with power

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:31:26 EST, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

So I got a free tank to take care of my $1 a dozen feeder fish & $6
worth of plants. . . . I added $100 of accessories

Been there, only I got two free 55's. Sold one probably too cheap. Bought a
used stand that came with a leaking 55 for $25, sold the tank really cheap
with the info that it leaked. Spent big bucks for all glass top, 2 bulb
top, 404 Fuval filter, but it sure looks nice! I keep fantail goldfish in
it, some purchased some babies when I had fantails only in the lily pond.

Might have. I actually went to buy Japanese trap door snails
because of what I read-- and the fact that they are hardy. I got
a youngster at the fish/pond store who talked a good game, but
apparently didn't know the difference. I even commented that I
didn't think trapdoor snails came in white. . . and he was real
concerned about the water temp in my pond and I said I'd ease them in,
"but aren't they hardy"? and he didn't seem to think they were hardy-
so I should have known something was amiss.

I didn't realize they were apple snails until I found a row of eggs in
the skimmer and searched online to find out what they were.

They do sound like Apple snails, though the Mystery snail also lays eggs
above the water. Trap doors, aren't they kind of like live bearers? Been a
long time since I've had either. Trap door & Mystery snails look a lot
alike, but I've never known either to be light or white in color.

I want to smell my Water Hawthorne blossom

They have a scent? I'll have to check mine out next spring.

Currently I have a bog lily blooming in the house, smells WONDERFUL,
similar to an Easter lily. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us