Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol[_4_] Lol[_4_] is offline

Default New allotment

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
You will find you cannot dig out couch grass no matter how careful you are
and it will be a problem for ever.

I think that I did manage to did out the couch grass from my allotment -
but in hindsight it would have been quicker to have used glyphosate,
except that the rhubarb bed was overrun with bramble and couch. The
problem I have is that couch grass reinvades from the grass paths - the
rhizomes can be up to 2 or more feet long.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Wouldn't regular mowing suppress it - via the usual mowing mechanism,
discouraging long growing and encouraging short.
Am thinking that the paths between plots should be regularly mowed, and the
council should do that, since they presumably mow
all the Enfield football playing fields that are adjacent to these
allotments. They are not covered in couch grass - its rye, I think.

Ok, clearly they use a tractor for that.... just a thought.

Lol