Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
scp scp is offline

Default germinating moso seeds

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:05:49 +0000, echinosum wrote:

scp;869147 Wrote:
What would be the best procedure to germinate moso seeds? Can I do it
now in the northeast USA? Can I use Miracle-Gro Cactus soil?

Here's a nice description of how to do it. http://tinyurl.com/yktey3g
But wait until spring, because if they experience low light conditions
as a seedling after germination, they'll rot. Else use growlights and
keep them warm through the winter.

Thanks.
I followed their directions last time.
Quite successfully at 50%.
But I killed all ten of them
when I tried to transplant them to bigger pots.
The last one while transplanting again two weeks ago!

Once established, reputedly hardy to -18C (0 F)

How about the water bamboo?
I have several plants in two five-gallon pots.
Several more in the garden, transplanted over a month ago.

For more discussion, there's practically a forum branch dedicated to
flowering and growing bamboo from seed here. http://tinyurl.com/ybpqfx6

Thanks again.
Any tips on transplanting sprouts?
My mistake appears to be using the regular top soil!

--
scp