Old 14-11-2009, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default Autumn gales

In message , Martin
writes

And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

A bit like being at sea. At least I don't have big plate glass
windows that go
in and out with each gust of wind, like I had when I lived in a flat
close to
the N Sea. I used to think that they had taken gales into account when they
specified the glass, until a friend had a window shatter during a storm.

I always draw curtains snugly during storms, just in case! We have
leaded panes here, so it's unlikely we'd get danger-to-humans type
damage but I'm not risking anything.

Our house has very big glass windows but is completely double glazed so no sign
of flexing like the single glazed windows in my old flat did. Most of the front
and back walls of the house are glass.

We have a large double glazed window (2m x 2.5m) facing south west and
we are situated on top of the tallest hill for miles around (great views
of the southern edge of Dartmoor unless it is obliterated by storms) but
it is scary just how much the glass flexes. I have thought about
installing shutters.

--
Robert