Old 14-11-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Autumn gales

On 2009-11-13 14:32:21 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:50:49 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snip

The gale has gone through - at least I hope it has and this isn't the
eye of the storm! But it's raining on and off and is just overall
gloomy - horrible! Poor Ray has picked up one of the bugs going around
and has a bad back too, while my step-son is still limping from a very
badly sprained ankle following a fall. My daughter has re-christened
this place 'Ill House!

I had one upper arm topped up with H1N1 vaccine yesterday. No side effects. 8
people had their arms injected with insulin by accident elsewhere.

Hell's bells - that's a bit serious, isn't it?!
They are "comfortable" in hospital.
When I weighed up the risks it was certainly something I didn't consider.
I'm told by British expat OAPs in France and Germany that H1N1 jabs are not
foreseen.
Judith?

She's away from home, atm.

Still on the way down the mountain with Moses tablets? )

Has he got a headache, then? ;-)

I wonder how anyone mixed up insulin with
H1N1 - a scary kind of carelessness.

Probably in the same fridge. I guess towards the end of a mass vaccination
session the staff are tired. 5 staff did all the OAPs and those with health
risks who wanted vaccinating in our town, total population about 20,000, in
about 8 hours.

A brilliant job on their part, though more staff would have been safer,
with the benefit of the 20/20 vision of hindsight. I hope they didn't
give insulin to injecting diabetics because I would think that makes
for an incredibly dangerous situation.

And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

A bit like being at sea. At least I don't have big plate glass windows that go
in and out with each gust of wind, like I had when I lived in a flat close to
the N Sea. I used to think that they had taken gales into account when they
specified the glass, until a friend had a window shatter during a storm.

I always draw curtains snugly during storms, just in case! We have
leaded panes here, so it's unlikely we'd get danger-to-humans type
damage but I'm not risking anything.

Our house has very big glass windows but is completely double glazed so no sign
of flexing like the single glazed windows in my old flat did. Most of the front
and back walls of the house are glass.

Must be lovely on a 'good' day but a bit daunting on one like this.
Here, the sun is trying to come through but the wind is still terribly
strong. Earlier, I was looking at the weathervane and it did a
complete 360 and then back again!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com