Old 16-11-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default are these really persimmons?

"brafield" wrote in message
I bought a persimmon tree years ago as an ornamental, (I'm in BC,
Canada, near the 49th paralel, so its fruit would not ripen here).

The tree produces a heavy crop each year, but my "persimmons" don't
look much like the ones I occasionally see in stores. Here is a link
to a high-res photo: http://www.oldstox.com/images/persimmons.jpg

The fruit are pear-shaped, heavy and firm, and have a downy fuzz over
a yellow skin. Are they indeed a variety of persimmon? Thanks for any
help.

They look more like quinces. do they have a strong scent (uncut - just from
the fruit sitting on the bench)? If they do, then I'd say that they're
quinces. BTW, coul dyou use a lower resolution if you have to ask a
question in the future and post a pic? It took so long to download on my
steam operated, dial up line computer that I nearly didn't bother.