Old 16-11-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default are these really persimmons?

brafield wrote:
I bought a persimmon tree years ago as an ornamental, (I'm in BC,
Canada, near the 49th paralel, so its fruit would not ripen here).

The tree produces a heavy crop each year, but my "persimmons" don't
look much like the ones I occasionally see in stores. Here is a link
to a high-res photo: http://www.oldstox.com/images/persimmons.jpg

The fruit are pear-shaped, heavy and firm, and have a downy fuzz over
a yellow skin. Are they indeed a variety of persimmon? Thanks for any
help.

Those are quinces not a persimmons. They are hard and close to inedible
when raw but excellent when cooked . When they are full yellow or the leaves
start to fall (whichever comes first) pick them, peel, core, slice and stew
with sugar and a little water. The flesh will turn from off white to pink
and they will become aromatic. Serve with a splash of cream or icecream.
There are many more elaborate recipes for quince deserts mainly from the
middle east. If you don't like them email them to me.

The quince is one of my favourite fruit trees. It is a handsome and hardy
tree that grows in a wide range of climates and needs little attention. In
spring the flowers are quite pretty, fairly large and more durable than
many. In summer the leaves cloak the tree most attractively. In autumn the
fruit are divine.

Every garden needs a quince tree.

David